Saturday, June 7, 2014

Climb Every Mountain

So since we did the big things yesterday and some things either aren't open yet because the season hasn't started, or since we both have janked up backs, we weren't entirely sure what to do today. Our host Jennifer at our chalet suggested a relatively easy hike since we didn't have any equipment so we went into town to get some more info. I led the hike up and let me tell you I have never done a hike like that ever! But, thats what happens when you're hiking up a mountain. We took a different way from the map and none of the trail signs mentioned our destination. Luckily for us we didn't get too far off course. There were a ton of streams from the melting snow and since our water bottle was drained we filled up with some nice glacial water. So cool and refreshing...and clear! Hopefully wont catch any disease from that but so far so good and its better than dehydrating and passing out on a mountain.
Once we were on the right track it got more intense. Maybe it was steeper or maybe I was tired from the earlier hills that I killed going up, but man was it hard. It was so beautiful looking out below the valley and knowing we were going up on foot instead of a cable car was very gratifying. 1200 meters later we were at our destination, a beautiful chalet that was just covered in flowers. From the balcony to all the window boxes this place was filled with so many blooming flowers.
The lady who owns the chalet was so nice and she offers hikers refreshments before the continue on. We relaxed for a bit and then headed back down the mountain. Its sad, I thought I was in better shape since I live in New York and walk everywhere but I guess not!
We grabbed some sandwiches and ice cream back in town and then wandered over towards one of the lakes where I had seen rock climbers the other day. We sat and watched them for a while; it really makes me miss it. The best were these Italian guys and the one belaying the climber was singing something operatic to cheer his partner on during a tough part. Too funny. And of course there were hellian children running around and one of them was throwing rocks and trying to hit people. How nice. Once again we had another failed attempt home but alas that is how I roll. Always getting lost...sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment